About Us

     Milford Presbyterian Church was founded in 1909 and is the only Presbyterian Church (PCUSA) in Caroline County, Virginia. Milford is a small congregation in a small community, but with a very big heart. 

     Jesus said that the two greatest commandments were to love God and to love one another. As a community of believers, we honor these two commandments in our worship, in our study, in our care for each other and in our service to the larger community. 

     We value diversity and welcome into our church family every individual seeking to follow Christ as a child of God. 

     If you are looking for a church home in Caroline County, we invite you to join with us as we travel together the road of faithful discipleship. 


Mission Statement of Our Church

The mission of Milford Presbyterian Church is to worship and grow

spiritually and to spread the good news of the Gospel.   We seek to

strengthen our faith with biblically sound teachings  of Jesus Christ,

and compassionately reach out to members of the church family and

the surrounding community.

History of Our Church

Milford Presbyterian Church descended from the Caroline Presbyterian Church that was organized about 1855, through the efforts of Reverend J. O. Jones. He was an evangelist of the Synod of Virginia who inaugurated a movement to secure a lot in Milford, raise funds and erect a chapel. The chapel was completed in November, 1908 and dedicated on March 7, 1909.

The church bell in the tower, which was removed from an old steam engine, was presented by R. F. & P. Railroad in memory of C. W. Butterworth. For many years, Mr. Butterworth held the position of Ticket Agent for the railroad. He also served this church for many years as Superintendent of the Sunday School, Elder and Clerk of the Session. The present church was erected and dedicated on August 30, 1953.  

Milford Presbyterian Church celebrated its 100th anniversary on November 16, 2008. The return of former pastors, a skit depicting the Milford community in 1908, fellowship and the singing of "Dwelling Place", an original composition by former Milford member David Kidwell, thrilled the packed congregation.